Monday 21 September 2015

Take a moment- see the beauty on a "TwitterBlogVacation"

Time away from computers and blogging is something I thought I would struggle with.
However I feel it has given me some space to really see things through different eyes.

As I sat over looking the ocean- and thought about the last 6 months of work, of the NHS, of pieces of work I have been involved in, new people and peers whom I have worked alongside, I feel really privileged to have had all these opportunities.

I asked my partner the following question.

What allows us to inhale- take a deep breath- look at what is often right in front of our noses?
 
For me- the sea, the waves and the fact that there is nothing on the horizon.
A deep breath- a cleansing sigh to me that says " ok- breath, relax and restore"
The reply from my partner was - "getting into my own bed"
I pose a question- "but what allows you to feel truly relaxed"?
Reply- " I have never really thought about it in that way"

In healthcare and as professionals I wonder if we ever truly have that moment of looking out and seeing nothing on the Horizon- no lists of things to do, projects to complete, patients to spend time with.

I am a bit of a workaholic if that's the right word, I love all the projects I am involved in, and work like crazy in an environment that is highly charged at times- and I love it- wouldn't ever think of anything else, the challenges, the teaching, the patient care- these are all music to my ears.

However - we all need that space in time, that gap, that moment of stillness- in order to do what we do, to recharge our batteries, and see our families, in order to top up our "cup of kindness and compassion"

I then got to thinking about how creative we could be in our workspaces to provide a moment of calm, a breathing space.
We would all have different things, images or ideas about what could make this happen for us.

I have recently shared a blog space with @johnwalsh88 - it was so uplifting, and a learning experience to write alongside him, and we shared our thoughts of creativity, kindness and compassion.

Perhaps we could all do with a place to take a breath.
 
A sign on a door " Horizon Space" where you can go for a few moments just to be.........
How effective would it be?

Creativity comes to us in many different ways- over the next few weeks I will be using mine to celebrate and highlight the Power and Passion for Play In Hospitals- with National Play In Hospital Week.
We will be welcoming visitors and working alongside Music In Hospitals to create a space of joy and support for C&YP and their families.

Sian Spencer-Little.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment