Sunday 23 August 2015

The Parent , The Patient ,The Teacher

I have observed this week creative, thoughtful, moving moments, sorrowful times, sadness and technical skills, experience and medical interventions.

I have witnessed my peers work long hours, with unfaltering  commitment, passion and compassion.

I have watched the bond between a child and their parents- I have been honoured to sit alongside and provide time and space- a moment of relief- of joy.
A smile, an eye movement- a moment of pain free bliss.

Then after- the time to reflect, to process- I look at the junior team of doctors and nurses - the expression on their faces- do they know they have just been part of a moment in time that could enhance to the very core their work- how they develop relationships with patients.

I look at the parents, the patients- and I know they have taught us this week.

I think about the 6C's- each and everyday I walk alongside healthcare and medicine.

I look to my left- to 2 HCP's who stand so still, but breathless, small beads of perspiration fall, the expression on their faces, of concern, of professionalism of care, of passion when an emergency arises.
Sometimes I catch my breath- sometimes I cannot believe that I get to come to work, and be part of this amazing team.

I think about storytelling, sharing experiences, moments in history that all pave the way to learning, and challenging how we react, what are the circumstances, and access to fears and feelings.

 
This week I have read many things- but this section from Dr Tanya Byron's book "The Skeleton Cupboard" stood out for me.
Many paragraphs stand out for me- particularly about hearing patients stories, and providing the platform for them to tell them.

 
I have also spent time sharing my story, with student nurses, junior doctors, they ask me why I work in the way that I do, how does this effect a hospital experience,  impact on the levels of care, what can they do to assist.

We have discussed the difference between changes in careers and how we explain the things that have impacted our lives, events, experiences and how they shape us as HCP's.


So I carry this with me- like a beacon of hope, of understanding and of learning

"When we are no longer able to change a situation- we are challenged to change ourselves"
Viktor E Frankl.


Sian Spencer-Little

 



2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Sian, and as a parent of a PMLD young man who spent most of his first six years in hospital, it's so heart-warming to be reminded that there are so many people working with our children who care so deeply and work so passionately to create even tiny moments of well-being and joy. Thank you. Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kindness and insight.

    ReplyDelete